A few weeks ago I run into a strange problem — when I was playing with ESP8266 and Arduino Libraries, suddenly my program stopped working. Random characters were appearing on UART (Arduino
Serial). Also it was almost not possible to flash the chip via the UART. “Ok, I blew up the UART somehow,” I thought. Today, the problem appeared again, so I replaced the module with a new one. After few minutes, the I observed the same strange behavior – random characters appeared again. What?
Because I didn’t touch the module, I started inspecting what’s going on. I revisited all the connections and all the Dupont cables. Everything was fine. As a last desperate try I lowered the upload speed from 921600 Bd/s to 57600 Bd/s. The chip came alive!
I haven’t inspect properly, what is the cause, yet. It seems to me like there might be an interference on a the cheap Chinese Dupont cables during high speed upload and the uploaded program can get corrupted (and so the ESP might be stuck in a loop of fault handlers).
Next time, when you think you blew your ESP8266, try lowering upload speed first!
Recent news: My open letter to the 3D-printing community
I love the 3D-printing community, but I think there is room for improvement. Let's get better in 2023! Read the full letter.
Support my work!
If you like my work (these blog posts, my software and CAD models) and you would like to see more posts on various topics coming, consider supporting me in various ways:
- You can become my sponsor on Github.
- If you prefer, you can also become my Patreon.
- You can buy me a coffee on Ko-fi,
- or you can buy something from my Tindie store (also see below),
- Or you can just share my work!
If you are interested in knowing what I am up to and recent sneak-peaks, consider following me on social media (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook).
My store offers
I launched new tank cleaning kits for Elegoo Saturn, Saturn S, Mars 1, and Mars 3. You can find them in my store.>